Company: Garmin (Olathe, Kan.)
Title: Operations & Supply Chain Intern
Semester: Summer 2014
Applicable Majors: Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain Management, or a related field
Applicable Years: Juniors, Seniors
Pack your college gear because you can wear it here. At Garmin, we don’t worry about what you’re wearing; we’re too busy pursuing the next best thing, and we want you to be a part of that innovation. You give us 10-12 weeks, from May to August, and we’ll PAY you to play with toys, build cool electronics and meet new people — not only at work but at outings, such as laser tag, ice cream socials and more. Now, this is what you’ve been studying for.
Forget “special projects” for newbies, our Operations intern will enjoy a hands-on learning experience in a variety of production, warehousing and global product distribution projects including process design/improvement, process documentation, cost/benefit analysis and reporting to management.
As an Operations Intern, you’ll get to design and help implement efficient product flow processes, provide analysis and input on physical layout design of workspace for maximum flexibility and productivity, analyze, design and improve methods, functionality, and ergonomics to enhance productivity, reduce fatigue, and insure a safe environment, and provide input on traffic flow of product within the production and warehouse systems.
Other responsibilities include:
- Streamline product movement activities to decrease cycle time of material flow
- Determine space requirements for various functions and plan or improve production methods including layout, production flow, tooling and production equipment, material, fabrication, assembly methods and staffing requirements
- Apply statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing/distribution requirements and to analyze product or process performance
- Design processes, tools or systems utilizing and applying knowledge of engineering principles
- Analyze new product introduction processes for efficiency and create tools and checklists to improve efficiency of future product launches
- Analyze and model options for global distribution networks and provide recommendations for best options
- Prepare reports based on findings and present reports to peers and management
- Prepare flow charts and diagrams as needed
- Recommend and provide analysis on machinery that enhances manufacturing and distribution functions
- Develop and maintain maintenance documents that record compliance
Qualified candidates for this internship will possess the following education, experience & skills:
- Junior level in a Bachelor’s Degree program in Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain Management, or a related field
- Strong academics (GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule)
- Must possess proficient computer skills using Microsoft Word and Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Candidates with previous experience in a manufacturing, warehousing, or distribution operations preferred, proficiency in statistical analysis, and/or the ability to speak, read, write in Spanish, German, or French are preferred.
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved – kickball anyone? – and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow. Garmin offers interns company paid housing and other incredible benefits...an intern package that tops the competition. To learn how you can be a part of our nationally recognized internship program....Apply today.