Title: Refugee & Migrant Services Education Intern
Semester: Fall 2014, Academic Year 2014-15
Applicable Majors: Education
Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas' Refugee & Migrant Services is looking for an Intern to successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas by assisting in its “Learning Center”: offering English classes, cultural orientation and job readiness classes to refugees in the Kansas City Area. The center is located at CCNEK Central Office in Wyandotte County (Kansas City, KS). The purpose of the Learning Center is to enable refugees to easily access English Language Instruction and other classes in the neighborhood they live in to assist them in transitioning to life in the United States and successfully obtaining employment.
This internship will focus primarily on assistance with the ELL area of the Learning Center, with the intern providing support to staff members as well as working directly with refugees - 10-20 hours per week. One semester or 6 month commitment preferred. Other professional development and learning opportunities available based on intern interest.
1. Assist Education Coordinator with ELL testing, enrollment and attendance record keeping
2. Assist Education Coordinator and ELL instructor in making personalized calendars for clients and working with case managers to insure that clients understand schedules
3. Staff Computer Learning Lab at least once a week and assist clients in utilizing computers to practice English, learn life skills and apply for jobs
4. Assist Education Coordinator, ELL instructor and program Director in coordinating volunteers for supplementary ESL tutoring
5. Maintain ELL Attendance Records for ELL Program and individual case files
6. Call clients that are missing classes
7. Receive training in how to teach ELL classes and be willing to substitute in event of instructor absences
Application Instructions: Apply Online